Sunday, June 29, 2008

the silly baker

I may have been out of my mind, but I joined the Daring Bakers for a little bit of ... something.
It seemed like a good idea at the time.

I was up half the night (I happened to be up half the night in a head-cold-induced trance) pondering fillings and rollings and my arms .. what's the underside of the forearm? .. were sore for two days after the rolling, we definitely need a rolling pin on a wheel, rather than a big fat stick that requires much awkward wrist twists.

Was it worth it?
My Danish Braids. It made a truckload of pastry and with my offcuts there is a little family of darling croissants. I think I forgot to take photos once the croissants were done, but they are sugar and spice and all things nice.

Apricot Almond Danish braid. and below, apple.











I am worn out! ....but vaguely proud.

13 comments:

  1. Gorgeous!! Your baking skills far surpass my own... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Job!!! I think your braids look fantastic and such nice thick filling too!!

    Welcome to Daring Bakers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your intricate looking braid, amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! Great write up. Your apricot almond braid makes my drool! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to the group. We are all about pushing ourselves out of our comfort zones to make delicious and amazing new things. I think you did a gret job. Thank you for baking with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You should be proud- this was one hell of a challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - they look sooo good
    :) yum, love kate

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job! I love your rolling pin. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice job, I like the braid and I love the little croissants you made too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome to the group! You know - my rolling pin is the kind that well, rolls, but when I was rolling this dough out I thought it would be easier if I had the other kind. Go figure :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow!! those danish braids look AMAZING!!!! wish i tried them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on your first challenge, and welcome to the Daring Baker madness. Your braids are beautiful; you're going to fit right in! :)

    ReplyDelete